News and Events


"Nurturing responsible individuals, together"


September 5, 2018 – Dr. Arthur Hines School Principal’s Message
I would like to extend a warm welcome to students and their families. I hope everyone had a great summer, and that students are ready for another exciting new school year with teachers and friends.
I look forward to working with both new and returning students, staff, and family members. I want to ensure families that we will continue to provide quality education, exciting, challenging, and fun learning activities for students. We will also continue to provide opportunities to encourage a school climate for which the entire school population will be proud, and one which encourages families to be involved in school events, and student learning.
This year, we welcome back Mrs. Rathbun, as the grade Primary teacher. Also returning is Ms. Lorraine MacCormack as the Resource teacher, Mrs. Elsie Wetmore as guidance counsellor on Tuesdays, Mrs. Cheryl Clark as the Grade 5 teacher, Ms. Jackie Allen as our Phys. Ed teacher and Ms. Keshia Laffin as our music teacher. Mrs. Brianna Sawyer, our Grade 2/3 teacher is off on maternity leave and Ms. Beth Casey will be starting the year in her classroom. Also, this year, Mrs. Hunter-Butler returns as a classroom teacher, teaching grade 3/4. We welcome Mrs. Kerry Pemberton as our Math Intervention teacher, who will hold a 50% position between here and Windsor Forks School. We are fortunate to be continuing with the Reading Recovery Program. This is a reading intervention program for grade one students only. Mrs. Danene Margolian will be the Reading Recovery teacher 40% of the day and the grade 1/2 teacher 60% of the day. Mrs. Erin Patstone will be teaching grade 1/2 for the other 40% and French to two classes. Also, we have Mrs. Wanda Wood, Mrs. Shelley Schaefer, Ms. Mary Sanford and Mrs. Shaunda Robinson returning as EAs.
Dr. Arthur Hines School Staff will be working together on School Success Planning in Literacy, Math, and the PEBS model for behavior (Positive Effective Behavior Support), with high expectations for student academic, social, emotional, and behavioral learning, and for enriching our school climate and culture. We will also continue to work on goals for promoting Racial, Cultural, and Human Rights, and providing students with opportunities for learning about the race, culture, gender and socioeconomic rights, heritage, and challenges of others.
As in the past, the school and teachers are always looking for volunteers to help out with different aspects of the school routines (i.e. reading to students, breakfast program, “Swish” – fluoride program, etc.) … please contact the office if you are interested. If you do not have your Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry checks completed, these forms need to be filled out prior to being a volunteer. Please contact the office for more information.
Communication between home and school is crucial. In September there will be a “Meet the Staff” event. If parents are unable to attend that event, you will be contacted by your child’s teacher, to introduce herself, and to say hello. Teachers will frequently send home newsletters and the office will send home monthly newsletters with notable dates and events for that month. In the case of unexpected dismissals, special events, late buses, etc., parents receive the information through automated email, phone calls and/or texts. Parents can check the DAHS website for information as well, which we will be updating very soon. Classroom teachers will be establishing a means of daily communication from school to home for parents and students. Parents are encouraged to check this on a daily basis. Please feel free to contact the school if you have any concerns or questions. I look forward to making this an enjoyable and successful year for all members of the DAHS School Community.
Sincerely, Shelley Regan



Dr. Arthur Hines School is located in Summerville, Hants Co., with a population of 103 students, 12 teaching staff, and 4 educational assistants. We are fortunate to have a dedicated staff, an active and supportive Parent Support Group and close affiliation with the Hants Shore Community Health Centre. The HSCHC provides support with our breakfast, lunch and Active Healthy Kids programs and personel to run these programs.